The original title of this post is: Sort-of-Healthy Almost-No-Bake Nutella Peanut Butter Cheesecakes In Shot Glasses but since that takes longer to say than it takes to actually eat these, I decided against it.
But I think we’re all agreed, fun-sized desserts > regular-sized desserts. Case in point.
And when you have fun-sized Nutella peanut butter flavour bombs, I don’t know why anyone would say no. Sweet, tangy, nutty all at once. This is the combination that makes chocolate-orange insecure.
This is not a recipe that I’ve been meticulously writing down for a long time or any such thing. It was just a vague idea to create a layered cheesecake of sorts, that wouldn’t require any actual baking (except roasting the hazelnuts) and would be healthier than the usual ones. Ok maybe not so vague.
Grab a spoon you guys, we’re going in!
So. All that’s really in these little guys, is a ground hazelnut crust, a peanut-butter-cream-cheese layer, a Nutella-cream-cheese layer and that’s about it. I didn’t use any extra fat or sugar, which means these certainly aren’t diet food, but come with a little less guilt than say this one.
If your peanut butter isn’t pre-sweetened with honey or sugar, you may want to add a little sweetener. But the great thing about making this kind of thing, is you can play around as much as you want with the ingredients. It’s not dependent on specific proportions so if you like more tang, add more cream cheese. If you like more Nutella, go crazy. More hazelnuts? Shower them on! The bestest part about this whole thing is how easy it is. No mixers, no fancy steps. Just a small bowl and lots of spoons and you’re done.
Together, this is a crunchy, creamy dessert that you scoop out in messy spoonfuls and reach for another before you know what’s happening. No one flavour is overwhelming, somehow they all work together really really well!
These definitely can’t be made as anything but individual servings in small glasses or bowls. Since the crust is only nuts, no butter, it’s not super sturdy, therefore assembling this in a large dish will only get messy. Save yourself the trouble and make cutesy little portions 🙂
I filled 8 shot glasses with the proportions in the recipe below, but feel free to increase or decrease as you like. You can’t go too wrong, I promise!
My only recommendation would be to not skip the roasting of the hazelnuts. Not only does it help release more flavour, it brings out the natural oils which help bind the ‘crust’ a little more. Almonds or peanuts would be great too!
I’m done talking now. Let’s not-bake!
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 heaped tbsps peanut butter, at room temp
- 4 tbsps Nutella, at room temp
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Spread the hazelnuts out in a single layer on an ungreased baking tray. Bake for 8 to 10 mins until golden-brown, fragrant and shiny because of the natural oils that are released. Set aside to cool for a few mins. Reserve a handful of hazelnuts to decorate the top of the cheesecakes.
- In a food processor, blitz the still-warm hazelnuts till finely ground. Divide equally among 8 shot glasses and press down with a small spoon to firmly pack the 'crust' in. If you have a little extra, create more layers with it, or sprinkle on top of the cheesecakes.
- In a small bowl, combine half the cream cheese and all the peanut butter. Mix vigorously till smooth and well-combined. Spoon on top of the hazelnut crust in each glass.
- In the same bowl, combine the remaining cream cheese and all the Nutella. Mix vigorously till smooth and well-combined. Spoon on top of the peanut butter layer in each glass.
- Place a couple of hazelnuts on top, then chill the glasses for at least 1 hour before digging in. Enjoy!
Shop this recipe!
This post contains affiliate links.