In the rush to make every conceivable baked good with peanut butter, I almost forgot I had no regular peanut butter cookies! So I finally got down to it and jazzed them up with chocolate chips, of course, because I can’t seem to get enough of that combination. Check these out. And these.
And then there are these. Soft, chewy, classic goodness.
Make the dough at night, stick it in the fridge, go to sleep smiling and wake up to fresh cookies in about 15 minutes. I mean, what part of that does not sound good.
Just this: they are ADDICTIVE. Gooey chocolate chips inside, peanut butter flavour exploding all over the place and the perfect soft soft soft texture. Much like these.
They are thick and puffy, not flimsy at all. Thank the dough-chilling for that. And this recipe. A little sugar adjustment (of course) and a bit of temperature changing and we were good to go.
Cup of hot, strong coffee and you have what they call happiness.
The only thing I had to rectify was keeping the dough balls out for about 5 minutes at room temperature after chilling. Otherwise, I found the cookies barely spread at all and they were more like peanut butter cookie balls. Not a problem, really, but they get a bit harder to photograph 🙂
So. Chill dough, or wind up with peanut butter crepes. Make dough balls and leave at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes depending on how hideous the summer is in your part of the world. Press down lightly to encourage them to spread a bit and bake for 10 to 15 minutes depending on how soft/crunchy you like them.
Went marginally crazy shooting them. They taste even better than they look 😀
Note: The recipe is altered and cut down to make 15 cookies.
What you’ll need:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsps caster sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 and 1/2 tsps vanilla
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Sundrop’s Honey Roasted version, so good!)
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt if using unsalted butter
A handful of chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, optional
What to do:
1. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt (if using). Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugars till smooth and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. A hand-mixer helps.
3. Add the vanilla and peanut butter and beat until smooth and combined.
4. Add the flour mixture to the above and mix till the dough comes together. Fold in the chocolate chips. The dough will be thick, sticky and generally tough to deal with. Just cover with clingfilm and chill for 3 hours up to 12 hours.
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 175 C. Roll the chilled dough into balls and place on a greased baking tray.
6. Press down lightly with a fork to flatten, making a criss-cross pattern for fun.
7. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes till the tops and edges are as golden-brown as you like. The cookies will continue to cool and harden once they’re out of the oven, so don’t over-bake.