A good friend of mine recently suggested I check myself into Nutella rehab. I promise I will, after this post. I just couldn’t NOT make this. No way.
I had some friends over for dinner over the weekend and I needed a dessert that just couldn’t go wrong. I saw Nigella Lawson make this cheesecake on TV and it’s an unbelievably easy recipe. It’s literally five ingredients. Six, if you count sugar which I felt you really don’t need. I added a spoon for good luck though 🙂
This is one of those things you can make the day before or even that morning, refrigerate, and forget about it till it’s time to serve. No baking, no thawing, no nothing. In fact, Nigella recommended leaving a bit of ‘fridge chill’ on it and I agree whole-heartedly. Plus, it began melting within a second anyway!
Turned out, I didn’t have enough readymade cream cheese. So this was also my first experiment with a little homemade cream cheese in a cake! All I did was hang about 400 gms of fresh curd (store-bought or homemade) overnight till all the water drained out and then just dropped it into the food processor 🙂
What you’ll need:
250 gms Marie biscuits (reduce this if you like more filling and less crust)
About 1/2 cup soft or melted unsalted butter (adjust if you use lesser biscuits)
1 and 1/2 jars of Nutella (at room temp)
100 grams finely chopped or ground hazelnuts (the cake will taste great even without these, the nuts just add a nice crunch and a bit more flavour)
500 gms cream cheese (at room temp)
What to do:
1. Crush the biscuits using a rolling pin or as Nigella does, put them all in a Ziploc bag and beat them with the rolling pin like your life depends on it. Don’t make them too fine though.
2. Transfer the crushed biscuits to a food processor and add the butter. Blend till it all starts to clump together, then add 3 tbsps of the hazelnuts and 1 tbsp of Nutella. Blend again.
3. Tip this mixture into a large, greased spring-form pan and press down firmly with your fingers till it’s spread evenly all round. Chill for at least an hour. I was tempted to bake it for a bit of a brownish crust but decided it’ll harden way too much because the cake has to be refrigerated for a few hours.
4. Now make the filling. Simply blend the Nutella and cream cheese in a food processor. The end. Seriously.
5. Take the pan out of the fridge, pour the Nutella mixture into it and spread it out evenly. Top with the the ground hazelnuts and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
6. Like I said, serve it straight from the fridge 🙂