Orange you glad they made me a muffin!
Yes, that was unforgivable. But I promise, once you’ve tried these muffins, you’ll let me get away with anything.
There’s nothing better than a fresh orange. Except a fresh orange muffin. I had a few oranges at home and found this recipe to put them to good use.
I didn’t have the time to make fresh juice though, so I used packaged Tropicana and reduced the amount of sugar. They turned out incredibly moist and so orange-y, I really pictured them growing on a tree. What a lovely tree that would be.
What you’ll need:
1 orange, quartered and deseeded (keep the peel on)
1/2 cup orange juice
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup powdered white sugar (Use about 1/2 cup if you have juice with added sugar like I did)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 200 C and grease or line a muffin tray.
2. Blend the orange quarters with the orange juice till you get a puree. You might have some tiny bits of peel unblended but they taste great in the muffins.
3. Add the egg and butter to this and blend either in a food processor or transfer to a bowl and beat by hand.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda. Add the sugar and combine.
5. Add the above dry mixture to the orange and egg mixture and stir well.
6. Pour the batter into the muffin moulds till each is about 3/4th full.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes.